The ThemeShaper WordPress Theme Tutorial: 2nd Edition. How to build a WordPress theme from scratch, using the latest WordPress features. Good stuff.
I’m trying out the P2 WordPress theme
I’m trying out the WordPress theme P2. I really like it. What’s interesting is that it doesn’t show post titles. Disconcerting, at least when the humor of the previous three posts depending on their titles being shown… Oops!
K9 WordPress Theme
I’m experimenting with the K9 WordPress theme. It’s written by Safirul Alredha, or “Zeo” of K2 fame, and is based on the K2 WordPress theme. After a little investigation, I’ve found that K9 leaves out a bunch of K2’s functionality:
- K2 sidebar modules. Widgets on steroids — K9 uses plain widgets
- Custom CSS files. Nice to maintain style changes when K2 updates
- Asides. Short posts for the sidebar — not much need anymore with Twitter
- Archives page. Automatically generated archives page with tag-, category-, and time-based archiving
- Live search. AJAXy search capabilities — no fun if your page loads slowly
- Advanced navigation. AJAXy loading of previous pages
Although I’ve grown attached to the first couple, I don’t really care about the latter three or four.
K9 sticks with K2’s use of blue and adds a bunch of speed. Wow!
I’m concerned. With a theme like this, I’ll need to focus more on content than appearance.
I’ll experiment a little longer, at least long enough to get my
>>-->in the header. Maybe…
For now, my initial opinion is K9’s no dog.
New Colors on the Way
I’m experimenting with new colors; please excuse the mess in the transition…
Update: It’s good enough to quit and go to bed. I had a couple of inspirations in the process:
- The coolmetalZOT color scheme at Color Schemer inspired the color selection; and
- The Cleaker 2.1 WordPress Theme at pomomusings inspired other design elements (hard border on the content pane, faded page background image, content background image and menu bar background image treatments).
Thanks to both!
Orange and Maroon
Blogan.net has gone “Orange and Maroon” for a short time to show support for the victims at Virginia Tech.