The past couple of days, I read a couple long articles about some issues surrounding machine learning:1
- The Dark Secret at the Heart of AI
- “No one really knows how the most advanced algorithms do what they do. That could be a problem.” From MIT Technology Review.
- Alien Knowledge — When Machines Justify Knowledge
- I like the original title better: “Our machines now have knowledge we’ll never understand.”
- Elon Musk’s Billion-Dollar Crusade to Stop the A.I. Apocalypse
- “You’d think that anytime Musk, Stephen Hawking, and Bill Gates are all raising the same warning about A.I.–as all of them are–it would be a 10-alarm fire.”
Update. Before you assume I think machine learning is all doom and gloom, rest assured. I don’t.
- Can machine-learning improve cardiovascular risk prediction using routine clinical data?
- One example of where Betteridge’s law of headlines fails.