I have a couple of bike locks. One barely qualifies for the label. It can survive gentle attacks by scissors and not much more.
Regardless, I carry it in my small seat pack, with my wallet, cell phone, keys, tire levers, and patch kit.
To be “safe,” I use it only around honest and stupid people,4 and even then, not for long.
Last time I used it, I had stopped briefly at Starbucks for a mid-ride refreshment.5
Day 11 on the bike.
- I believe this is a noble civic goal, in addition to the direct benefit it provides to me. ↩
- Maybe my use of stupid is ill-advised. Unresourceful might be better. After all, who carries around cable (wire?) cutters? Yeah, I really don’t want to know how common that is. ↩
- To stop the criminally devious is impossible. They will steal water bottles, pumps, and cycle computers. They will steal anything attached with only quick-release levers. They will saw through a bike rack in broad daylight to steal a bike. ↩
- I expect there is some overlap in these first two groups. ↩
- I’ll let you judge for yourself whether I was surrounded by honest and stupid people. ;-) ↩