There are many good reasons to turn off your lights tonight for Earth Hour:
- Decrease light pollution in your community1
- Save money on your electricity bill
- Decrease dependence on foreign oil
- Affect global climate change
As a practical matter, there are much better ways to save money and decrease energy usage than turning off your lights for an hour once a year:
- Take shorter, cooler showers
- Combine multiple car trips into one
- Ride your bike or walk
- Improve your house’s insulation and weatherstripping
Turn out your lights tonight if you want your neighbors to think you care. But don’t fool yourself — there are better ways you can make a difference.
How are you observing Earth Hour? What are better ways to save energy?
- If you’re into awareness events, don’t miss International Dark Sky Week — April 1-8. ↩