Twitter got too noisy for me.
Today I pulled out the machete and started hacking. I unfollowed:
- The “meta-tweeters” who tweet only about tweeting and how to get more followers1
- Those who I’d followed only because they’d followed me first
- Those who tweeted about things that used to interest me, but not anymore
- The companies whose products/services I don’t use anymore
- Those who don’t interact with others
- Those who use Twitter only to announce new blog posts
- Those who haven’t tweeted for months (even a few who had never tweeted!)
The difference is amazing. My Twitter stream is filled with people I know and topics I like.
I think I’ll keep that machete handy.
Have you considered an unfollow Friday?