My work laptop was recently upgraded to Windows XP Pro SP2. Now my wireless access doesn’t work. Ever two to three minutes, my wireless link shuts down and attempts to restart. Half the time, it doesn’t succeed. When I connect directly, it’s not too irritating. When I’m using VPN to connect to the Outlook server at work, it’s maddening. The glitch shuts down VPN and takes Outlook offline. I might as well not even try to connect.
I thought my wireless gateway was at fault, so I bought a new one. That was probably money I didn’t need to spend. At least the new one is prettier and has a couple more features.
After searching, I’ve discovered that SP2 added a “feature” called wireless zero configuration. Stopping the service has resulted in some improvement, until I want to move my laptop to another access point. The following links provide some good information, though I’m still searching for the ultimate answer.
I’m open to suggestions…